Commonly found in certain over the counter cough medicines. Has dissociative effects similar to Ketamine or MXE, though also shares properties with opioids and Alcohol. Make sure DXM is the only active ingredient in the preparation.
Dissociatives are mostly NMDA receptor antagonists, these substances are hallucinogenic but different than psychedelics. As per the name, these substances create a distance between the user and reality.Read more on TripSit Wiki...
These drugs pose a higher risk of causing habit forming behaviour, take particular care with the amount and frequency they are taken.Read more on TripSit Wiki...
Common drugs are those which are well known and widely used among the drug community. This doesn't necessarily mean they are safe, but it usually comes with a longer relative history of use in humans with which to establish a safety profile.
Note: DXM is dosed based on weight. See: http://dxm.darkridge.com/calc.html
Effects lovingly provided by PsychonautWiki
No interaction information for DXM
References & Notes
- Dextromethorphan and its metabolite dextrorphan block alpha3beta4 neuronal nicotinic receptors. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10869398
- Dextromethorphan potentiates the antinociceptive effects of morphine and the delta-opioid agonist SNC80 in squirrel monkeys. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11805202
- Dextromethorphan psychosis, dependence and physical withdrawal. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16318953
- Evaluation the effects of dextromethorphan and midazolam on morphine induced tolerance and dependence in mice. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18819620
- Dextromethorphan as a potential rapid-acting antidepressant. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21367535
- The treatment of heroin addicts with dextromethorphan: a double-blind comparison of dextromethorphan with chlorpromazine. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2187002
- High doses of dextromethorphan, an NMDA antagonist, produce effects similar to classic hallucinogens. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22526529
- Lack of efficacy of dextromethorphan in managing alcohol withdrawal: a preliminary report of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24346753